Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra Seeks ACE and Education Manager
Position Title: ACE and Education Manager
Reports to: Director of Education
FLSA Status: Exempt
Revised: May 2018
JOB PURPOSE AND REPORTING STRUCTURE: Under the direction of the of Director of Education, the ACE and Education Manager assists in the planning, development, and implementation of all education programs, including ACE, and manages a variety of education and community engagement offerings. The ACE and Education Manager is responsible for building awareness and engagement among Milwaukee residents, communicating with the community about current MSO education and audience development issues, and fulfilling the institution’s mission of growing and activating its base.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
Arts in Community Education and Concerts for Schools:
- Manage daily administration of elementary ACE program, including scheduling of ensemble visits, finance, and record-keeping.
- Ensure ACE materials, contact lists, and forms are kept up to date.
- Assist with planning and implementation of teacher professional development.
- Work with Director of Education and Associate Conductor in repertoire selection and script development for all Concerts for Schools productions.
- Work with Operations and Artistic staff to schedule and implement concert production
- Develop and implement marketing strategies to achieve earned revenue goals.
- Use creativity and innovation in developing new programs that attempt to incorporate current education and technological initiatives and cultivate new community partnerships and bring new audiences to the MSO
- In consultation with Director of Education and Artistic department, direct the orchestra musicians’ involvement in ensemble events sponsored by or supporting the MSO’s education and community engagement
- Co-facilitate community engagement and partnership development with key personnel.
- Plan and implement MSO + Me, the MSO’s adult side-by-side program, working closely with the Associate Conductor and Artistic staff.
- Plan and implement Meet the Music, working with Director of Education and Artistic staff
- Plan and implement annual Stars of Tomorrow youth concerto competition, working with Director of Education, volunteer chair, and Artistic staff
- Assist in management of Lullaby Project
- Work in conjunction with teachers and other partners to develop all material used in teacher training, musician training, volunteer training, and student preparation for education program (including educational guides, docent preparation materials, and concert programs).
- Recruit and supervise volunteers to assist with department projects as requested.
- Maintain current specialized knowledge of national, state, and local trends and resources in education theory and practice, and of school curricula relevant to MSO school programs.
- In conjunction with the Director of Education, develop and implement assessment and evaluation strategies to measure effectiveness and reach of education and community engagement programs.
- Develop and strengthen a consistent teacher/administrator network.
- Work with Development staff in development grant proposals and implementing grants, and donor stewardship.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: Directs volunteer committees, education coordinator and department interns.
CONTACT WITH OTHERS: The position is in contact with state and local school district officials, administrators, teachers, student musicians, Forte volunteers, Marcus Center staff, vendors, local media, and national, regional, and local artists.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE: This position requires Bachelor of Arts degree in Music or Music Education or a related field and 2-3 years of experience. Must have strong verbal and written communication skills, particularly in the areas of public speaking and customer service.
Interested applicants should send their cover letter and resume to Rebecca Whitney, Director of Education, at email@example.com